Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sarah

June 14, 1979


Dad
The story is told about the child that alarmed everyone by not saying a word till she was 4 years old - turns out the reason was that she didn't need anything and life was fine. When I look at pictures of young Sarah, I am reminded of that. She looks so serene and content. It was probably just that Rachel took all the airspace!  Later on Sarah was watchin Rachel's back - ya did a good cover, Sarah! Ya loved your sis. Ya didn't even roll on her for the Dr. Humboldt medicine- man, there's loyalty! Sarah turned into the rebel herself later. I'm sure she would have ended up on probation if her "stealing the admit slips and forging signatures and selling them for 5 bucks" criminal ring with S. Smith at Eureka High School would have been discovered... Who could forget Sarah's "vivacious" demeanor for early morning seminary! I'd come up with one of my early moring corny jokes and she would give me the death stare. I think she actually took a blanket and slept in the back. Once I came home after working very early in the morning and her best friend Laurel was leaving our house - they begged me not to tell that she had spent the night without permission. I found out years after the fact that Sarah and her friends (maybe even with her sister Hannah?) used to ditch school for the whole day and go to Benbow and swim and sunbathe all day. Sarah loves the outdoors and hiking the JMT in 17 days after high schoool graduation was the ultimate! I found out just recently that she almost starved when she moved to Utah after High School. Who could forget some of the guys she brought back for us to meet? All extremes it seems. Thank goodness she found that Jake guy... She has evolved into a wonderful person and mother/friend/wife/daughter/wanna-be activist and not-so closet-feminist. She writes about motherhood and life with a style and insight that is broadly recognized. Ya rock Sarah - hope you always stay amazed.  d
Hannah
Sarah your birthday always reminds me that the year is half over! There are so so many memories that I share with you. From the Silver Tabs to the child rearing. I feel like we have always been close but the point in which I felt we really grew the closest is when I had Kayla. Suddenly I realized what drove you to put every bit of your heart in to what you do. The point in which I realized how truly loving you are is when I sat in my condo in Bountiful when Kayla was a few days old. I was alone with her and I was crying out of control. I couldn't get her to nurse. I called you, hysterical. It was 10:30 at night. You left your house in Lehi and drove to Bountiful. You worked with me for some time and helped little baby Kayla learn to nurse. I cried then because I was happy, I felt you helped my defeat this challenge. That is only an example of your selfless sisterly love that trumps anything else. I could go on and on about the childhood memories of my big lipped, beautiful, and crazy sister just 18 months older than I. I am truly thankful I have had the opportunity to share my childhood and adult life with such a stalwart friend. I am so lucky to have you. Thank you for being who you are. Happy birthday and I look forward to the many more birthdays to come.
Jared
I remember driving to Indio California to meet up with Sarah and Katie to see one of the most talented groups of musicians ever to have combined their talents. We were all so excited and Sarah and Katie blasted their music all the way there. Being around all the people at coachella was like skimming the top of a pool of dirty water. When nickel creek took the stage, a sense of euphoria overtook us and I will never forget Sarah singing louder than Chris Thile. I think he looked over at Sarah swaying violently with her eyes closed. That was such an amazing experience that I will always remember every detail down to the smell of the grass. "grass" 
Miriam
Sarah and I used to write letters back and forth when she lived in Provo. I've kept all of them and they say the sweetest things. You have always been such a caring big sister. I'll never forget when you took me, Gideon and Naomi to the water slide park in Redding one summer. We had so much fun and our budget only allowed us a single bun from Subway. Not even a whole sandwich. I call that real living. Don't let anything keep you from havin' an adventure. Sarah, you've always had the biggest heart ad been the most loving big sister. You take it upon yourself to love and care for all of us and we feel it! I feel lucky that we get to see each other EVERY week. Your girls are so beautiful and they are lucky that you are their mother. You are so wonderful!

Naomi
Sarah was always so much older than me. She would brings friends home from high school and they were so old. She brought friends home from college and they were old! Over the past few years, Sarah has let me grow up to be as old as she is. We talk about too many things to count and I feel like we are the same age. Sarah has always been interested in what I am doing with my life. On my way to class, I'll give her a call and we will chat for only a few minutes. Some people talk to siblings for hours at a time. Our lives are busy. I dont have that kind of time. Sarah lets me have five minutes here and three minutes there. Those little phone calls are what keep us so close. Thanks Sarah. Thanks for being such a great big sister. For sharing your kids. Sharing your home. Sharing your love for the world around you with us. Love you.

No comments: